Monday, July 4, 2011

New Story: Orpheus and Eurydice

Here's the story that started it all. I decided to post a video instead of writing it out. There are many versions online, but this one amuses me - plus I liked its use of string:


This is the one story you really should know, so just in case you don't here's the highlights:
  • Orpheus is the greatest musician ever.
  • He loves and marries Eurydice.
  • Eurydice dies from a snake bite.
  • Orpheus is so distraught the Gods decide to let him venture into the underworld to retrieve her.
  • He gets past the three headed dog by calming him with his music.
  • His music also convinces Hades to let Eurydice go.
  • There is one condition: Orpheus must lead her out without ever looking back at her.
  • Orpheus almost makes it, but can't stand it any longer, turns and looks and she is gone forever.
There's more the video doesn't tell like Orpheus getting torn limb from limb by angry women and how his severed head becomes an oracle, but..well, that's another story.

2 comments:

heller said...

That's awesome! I am sure other people already noticed this, but while I was watching this it made me think about the cross-over with some biblical stories: Adam and Eve, and Lot's Wife.

Unknown said...

Yes, these old stories have ties to other stories all over the world. I'll be posting some comparative myths soon.