Tuesday, October 11, 2011

This is what it is to Love an Artist

This is what it is to Love an Artist

One of my favorite quotes/moments from Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice is when Eurydice is confiding in her father the ups and downs of loving Orpheus. She says:


“This is what it is to love an artist: The moon is always rising above your house The houses of your neighbors look dull and lacking in moonlight. But he is always going away from you. Inside his head there is always something more beautiful.”

I think there is some truth to this. I’m not sure I’m an artist - hopefully I’m in process of becoming one - but I can relate to seeing the world and people through moonlight-tinged glasses and I’ll confess it’s probably not always easy to love me as my head is often filled with my creative dreams.

I’ve often wondered if it would be easier to love an artist or a non-artist? Is it Dreams vs. stability or beauty vs. practicality? I’ve come to the conclusion that every relationship will have its strong points and challenges, but I do think someone can be “going away from you” for many less beautiful reasons.

What do think? Weigh in! In general terms, do you think it’s easier to love an artist or a non-artist?




1 comment:

Grassrooter for Life said...

This line really stood out to me on my first reading of the script. It's kind of true, but I like that you bring up that a lot of things can be that way.